Rep. Andrea Schroeder’s plan giving local governments more flexibility to prioritize their road repair schedules was approved today by the Michigan House.
House Bill 4966 is part of a legislative package allowing counties, cities and villages to focus more attention on fixing the community roads residents travel every single day.
“The roads everyone wants fixed most are the local roads at the end of their driveways,” said Schroeder, of Oakland County’s Independence Township. “These are the roads we drive every day on the way to work, school and the grocery store. My plan would allow local governments to devote more resources and more attention to these community and neighborhood roads by providing more flexibility within state law.”
Current Michigan law requires local governments to spend 75 percent of their road funding on “primary roads,” leaving just 25 percent for “local roads.” Schroeder’s plan would remove that restriction, giving local governments more power to fix the roads most in need of repair.
The measure advances to the Senate for further consideration.
Rep. Andrea Schroeder today said a plan soon to be introduced in the Michigan House offers a framework to improve the state’s response for the remainder of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“These new measures are a significant step forward to keep people safe and provide the help they need during what continues to be a very challenging time – in Oakland County and all across Michigan,” said Schroeder, of Independence Township. “This is a smart strategy that improves the state’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic across the board – helping families put food on the table, pay their bills, and stay healthy.”
Rep. Andrea Schroeder’s plan allowing Children’s Ombudsman investigators to quickly dedicate more resources to cases where child abuse is suspected has been signed into Michigan law.